Tuesday, January 28, 2014

There's a First Time for Everything

Early Sunday morning, the snow is swirling outside.  Who knew dark days could bring such bright light?  What's a girl to do, but to stare out the window and reminisce about the past?  
I got an email from my boss about a very recent accident the night before that could have nearly taken her and her husband's life and couldn't help but think about the long 8 years I've worked under her tutelage.  I started going through my jewellery box, full of memories of the time I spent with the company, and decided my first blog here, would be dedicated to her.  
ISO 400, 1/160, f. 5.6
Kari (my boss) owns a jewellery company called Zuka Artful Accessories.


She was a lot of firsts for me.  She was the first person to give me a job based on my skills.  She helped me produce my first piece of jewellery.  She helped me design my first piece.  And she inspired me to reconstruct my first broken jewellery piece into something new again.
ISO 400, 1/100, f. 9.0
 This was my very first purchased piece:  Hooped earrings made of swarovski crystals and mother of pearls.
ISO 400, 1/160, f. 5.6
 I named this one La Vie En Rose and this was a design by me based off of one her original designs.  It was the first time I had any creative control over any piece.
ISO 400, 1/80, f. 5.6
Between a friend and I, we broke my then new Aldo necklace, and instead of throwing away all the pieces, I divided the pieces and with all the skills I learned from Kari, I made them into asymmetrical earrings.  It was the first time I designed anything on my own. 

I've learned a lot from this woman, and hope to continue to do so.  Wishing her a speedy recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment