Friday, March 21, 2014

Antiques

Growing up, I was surrounded by antiques. My grandparents had started their own antique store after having kids and hated going to their jobs as a police officer and nurse. They both had always had a love of antiques and it was passed down through the family. As a child, I was always intrigued by the various pieces that filled our house, but never understood. I spent many hours at their store just looking and picking through things. About once a month they would set up booths at various antique shows, in malls during the winter, such as Yorkdale, and outside during the summer at Christie Conservation Area, or Aberfoyle. At the time I would just go to get $10 for helping out but as I got older, I had learned a lot and had taken a strong interest. I often take inspiration from pieces I see or own. My own antique collection had started with jewelry from my grandparents when I was about 8, but as I got older it's grown to various pieces. When my interestest in fashion had really taken off my grandmother instantly started collecting anything to do with fashion and sewing since she shared the same interest.

ISO200 - f/5.6 - 1/10

ISO3200 - f/4 - 1/100

ISO3200 - f/4 - 1/100

ISO6400 - f/4 - 1/40

ISO6400 - f/4 - 1/40

My grandparents had owned just the base of this old sewing machine- from a sewing factory in Montreal that had shut down awhile ago. In the center is an eagle and on the oval around it says G.W Williams, Montreal. As a birthday gift my dad had refinished an old piece of wood and had turned it into a desk for me. It is one of my favourite pieces.

Unfortunately I couldn't photograph my whole collection pf sewing pieces since it is split up between my place here in Toronto and home. I can't wait until I have my own permanent place to fill with my own pieces that I have collected over the years. 




No comments:

Post a Comment