Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Kids Can Dress

I was looking back at old photos the older day and one common issue I saw was what I was wearing. It's a classic conundrum, looking back at your old outfits and wondering, did my parents hate me or just want to get a good laugh everyday? I know that I've been told, apparently, if I had dressed myself when I was younger, it would have been worse. After talking to several parents, it seems to be a common thought that kids can't dress themselves. I feel as though adults don't gives kids enough of a chance to try and dress themselves to see any result. So I paid a little visit to my cousin Neesa and oh so kindly asked her if she would like to do photoshoot and put together a few outfits. Of course being 9 she and telling her we would be dressing up and talking picture, gladly accepted. This was the result.


ISO 400 f/4 1/10
 This was her weekend at home outfit. She wanted something to wear around the house especially because it's hard to do chores in a skirt.



ISO 400 f/5 1/10

ISO 400 f/3.5 1/15
Neesa chose this combo as if she was going for a nice breakfast with the family. I mentioned that she would be a little cold  with the weather the way it is and she replied "I know it's still winter but I want it to go away. So I just make up summer in my head instead"... Fair enough.


ISO 400 f/3.5 1/15

ISO 400 f/3.5 1/15
This last one is for a day at school. She chose it because she likes to be comfortable in leggings, to play in, and likes to wear colours. 


Now Neesa may have the advantage because her mom regularly lets her pick out her own clothes, but as you can see, she does just fine in building her own outfits.  They are appropriate for each situation and reflects who she is and what she likes. Now I understand that we can't always give full reign to children and sometimes they could use a little guidance when dressing but it's time to start trusting that your kids know what to wear. Let them pick out what they like and dress themselves. If anything, that way they can't come back in 20 years and say "Mom, Dad why did you do that to me?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment